Tuesday, November 1, 2011

what we take in

I've seen animals slaughtered under ten times in my life and it has irked me out, I must say... but that said it has not deterred me from my meat eating tendencies.

When I was younger we travelled for something or other to one of our family homes in the EC where live stock was to be slaughtered for feasting... I got to see the final moments of a sheep, suffice to say that, that sound it made upon it's last breath was and still is blood curdling and yet I still ate it's meat when it had been cooked.  It disturbed me to see that.

This year I was invited to a ceremony and before my eyes a chicken was knifed, blood splattering into an enamel bowl placed in the centre of someone's home, part of me couldn't look and part of me could but then again it made me ill to watch this, that was occurring in my presence. It made me uncomfortable but you know what: I still love my chicken!!!!!!!


I love my meat so much so that I could never become a rastafarian, vegan or any other thing that requires me not to eat meat, ok. Once a cousin of mine decided to go see how hamburgers were made, well upon her witnessing it she became vegetarian and wanted us to follow suit to go check it out, I refused.

On an Oprah rerun I watched this guy said: if you don't know how it is made you should not be eating it. Makes sense, yes, no, maybe... Reality is though that not all of us want to know how our meat is slaughtered and veganism is not for everyone but that said I do agree that we should be concerned with how living things die and that it should be stress-less. Healthier eating habits do need to be acquired. I'm finding healthier take away options and more and more greens making it onto my plate when dining out...

One of these days I might just be the salad ordering girl.....

No comments:

Post a Comment